Step back in history: the Telefunken M15A

Posted on March 27, 2010
Filed Under all/alles/todo, gear | 9 Comments

Yesterday another dream of mine became true when I picked up this wonderful piece of german engineering history. The Telefunken M15A is one of the most popular reel-2-reel tape recorders that was built in the mid 70s for the german radio broadcasting stations. Still used today by many recording engineers and well known for it´s great sound and reliability, I will use this beauty for my recording purposes and hopefully will capture a little bit of the spirit of the last 30 years of recording technology in my tunes.

As there is already quite some information on the web about these recording “tanks”, I don´t think I need to put down all of the technical informations and specifications. Nevertheless if you need some hints or tips don´t hesitate to contact me, I will be happy to share my experiences.

Here are some more pictures of my new Telefunken M15 A:

Comments

9 Responses to “Step back in history: the Telefunken M15A”

1. Parker on June 19th, 2010 6:16 pm

What’s the difference between a m-15 and m15a? What is a better option to choose?

2. Mark on June 20th, 2010 9:07 am

Hi Parker, yes there are some differences: the m15 is the previous version, without a digital time display, and also with different motors inside. But the main difference is probably the fact that the m15 is built completely without ICs, it has discrete circuits. The m15a is newer (it was built from 1975 on as far as I know), and has more modern amps and electricity… some say they sound different, both really great. but different….

3. Martijn on April 12th, 2011 12:01 am

I also have a Telefunken M15. This one winds and rewinds tapes but won’t play them when hitting the playbutton. Of course the local /remote setting is in the local position.
    Can you give me a clue?

4. Mark on May 3rd, 2011 9:02 am

hard to tell from that point of view… it might have something to do with these several transport wheels, there are various inside for play / rec / ffwd / rewind… have you cleaned it all up already? might be just something tiny..

you should maybe contact someone in the tapemaschine-forum: http://forum.studerundrevox.de/ there is also a telefunken-section, and if you ask kindly they also try to help in english, even though its a german forum;
    and there’s always the chief technican (also on the forum): http://www.es-studiotechnik.de/ Erich Schleicher. he knows all about these maschines…

5. tony ma on June 13th, 2011 10:54 pm

the handbook in Germany that I can’t read, do you know how to switch CCIR and NAB? it mark MONO and STEREO with CCIR and NAB in the same switching and when calibrate what is the meaning of P and T and HI and HII also color of those letter in red and blue ?
    regard tony ma

6. simon on July 3rd, 2012 10:29 am

Hi Parker,
    I own a M15A and have a remote control for this machine (Or M15, I am not sure about that) but no schematics how to connect this remote to the machine. Can anyone out there help me out. De remote has the Tuchel multiconnector but the machine has a DIN 3 row flat connector.
    Thanks for your response!
    Greetz,
    simon

7. Mark on July 3rd, 2012 10:49 am

Hi Simon,
    as far as I can tell the remote is not connected to the tuchel or XLR connectors, there should be another connector for it. but as I dont own the remote I cant tell for sure… maybe you ask here:
    although its a studer revox portal, there are quite some telefunken-geeks around who know a lot about the M15(a)…
    hope this helps,
    mark

8. 7/16 din connector loss on February 10th, 2015 4:52 am

(760) 208-6002. Good DC Voltage. Temperature:

9. Ed on June 11th, 2016 12:40 am

Hi, your M15A is nice; interesting to know is its serial number? Mine is sn. 5755, AEG Magnetophon M15A, counter shows near 16500 and it runs and sounds great to me. Calibrated to SM468 tape. Interesting is to know how do you clean heads and the pinch roller; do you use pure isopropyl alcohol for the heads, but a non alcohol cleaning for the roller?
    And do you demagnetize? How often, and which demagnetizer model with?
    With kind regards,