DIY-Project: The G-SSL Stereo Mix Compressor, part 2

It´s been quite a while since I posted the first part of the howto on the GSSL Compressor. That is, because I took a break after having it almost finished, then finished it, used it quite a few times, modified some stuff again, but didn´t have the time to write down the second part of my howto…

In the meantime the compressor is finished but I still have some minor issues with the distortion / calibration of the unit, and now that I own a osciloscope I might give it another try and fix the last things so the compressor will be fine to use as my main stereo sum compressor. I like the sound a lot, it´s not much colored but it has its own flavor, so I gotta get things going!

hopefully I will be able to test the unit this weekend and post some sound examples, maybe someone can help me with my distortion issue;

Dual 1176 Limiting Amplifier finished

Just a brief comment about this as I am still in the testing and debugging phase, but by today I finally completed this one, and, it sounds just great!!! There are still some open questions I have in mind for which I would like to have answers for, but at least it´s working and compressing as it should!!!
Many many thanks to Mnats (PCBs), Jacob/Gyraf (Design) and Purusha (Case) from the DIY-Forum, who made this project possible. The applause belongs to you guys! 😉  Continue reading “Dual 1176 Limiting Amplifier finished”

DIY-Project: The G-SSL Stereo Mix Compressor, part 1

Hi Folks,

I just finished this great Compressor the other night, and as I am quite happy with the result (there are still some tweaks to do, and the Turbo-Board is still missing) here are some pictures of the new born star!

And as requested I will give some instructions on the DIY-stuff I am posting here, here are the basic links to the inventors, the suppliers, the built instructions, helpers et al… thanks to this great DIY-community here, without the help of many people this wouldn´t have been possible for me to do – I learn so much stuff from you guys every day!  Continue reading “DIY-Project: The G-SSL Stereo Mix Compressor, part 1”