The first step after putting carpet into my new room was building the essential acoustic treatments, the bass traps. I decided to do 2 big bass traps for the front corners, both about 2,10m high, 65 cm wide and 30 cm deep, filled with rockwool, that I wanted to wrap in thin foil, and cover the whole thing with fabric; also I wanted to build 3 small broadband absorbers, that I can stack on top of each other and put then near the sidewall of the listening position, about 20cm away from the wall. these absorbers are also filled with rockwool, 20cm deep, and covered with black fabric.
After having build these elements, I wanted to check the acoustics in my room first before building further elements. I know that these wont be enough for the size of the room, but rather than killing all dynamics in one step I decided to plan the next steps afterwards. So take a look at the first elements, and, again, sorry for the poor picture quality… I will take some better shots soon;
After searching for the right location for quite a while I finally found a decent room in the heart of Zurich to build my new studio; I plan to have a one room concept for recording and production, with possibilities to built a vocal booth, some space to hang out and play around with my instruments, and some room for storage;
The room is about 43 m2 big and has a good shape: it´s 10 x 4,2 meters, and the walls are not completely parallel, which should be good for the sound. the roof is about 2,40 m, towards the back it goes down to 2,20 m.
I will try to post the building process here in detail, with pictures, to give you a clue how it looks like and maybe get some tips from more experienced people, especially concerning the acoustic panels & treatment.
So here´s the empty room before I put the carpet in today (sorry for the bad picture, taken with my mobile); next steps are all the tables and racks, followed by the instruments, the mixer and the monitor system. I would be happy to recieve some input about how to treat the walls and corners; the roof is already covered with 5cm rockwool, which shouldn´t hurt;
Well, after some breaks and waiting periods I continued on improving my new studio setup:
the Mackie desk moved into the middle, the new monitor speakers (Yamaha HS80M) found their place, the rack is getting filled up more and more (the Ensoniq DP/4 Multieffect unit and a new ADAT Interface) and, the most important thing, the cable-chaos has almost been solved and sorted!
So now I am mainly waiting for the MB808 case, and for the Dual 1176 and the GSSL Stereo Compressors to be build soon…